Precision Strike at APL employs people with appropriate skills, interests, and experience from across APL, most of whom are members of APL's Force Projection Department (FPD).
FPD hosts two mission-focused organizations (Precision Strike and Strategic Deterrence). Although there is a broad mix of disciplines within Precision Strike, most of the professional staff are engineers or scientists. Formal education levels range from bachelor's degrees to Ph.D.s. A large number of staff have previous military or industry experience.
Most of the staff who support Precision Strike programs have education, skills, experience, and expertise in the following disciplines:
These staff members engage in the full range of system development, including:
System testing and evaluation
Some of the technical specialties of the staff working in Precision Strike are as follows:
Sensor data processing and management
Guidance and navigation systems
Mapping and geodesy
Human systems integration
Command, control, and communications
Modeling and simulation
Precision Strike programs and FPD have a number of permanent field sites and offices intended to better support our sponsors and related organizations. A partial list includes:
- Naval Air Systems Command at Lexington Park Naval Air Warfare Center in Maryland
- Headquarters Air Combat Command and Air Force Command, Control, Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance Center at Langley Air Force Base in Virginia
- Counterair Joint Systems Program Office at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida
- Naval Strike and Air Warfare Center at Fallon, NV
- U.S. Air Force Aeronautical Systems Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH
- Raytheon Systems Company, Tucson, AZ
Other APL departments and programs also have field sites at various locations around the world that we can use, as needed.
(For a brief desciption of the composition of the APL staff as a whole, see Our Staff.)